With its trademark proactive approach, OGEO FUND seeks to contribute to the knowledge and awareness about pensions required for socio-political debates in Belgium. This led to EGEO FUND commissioning for the second consecutive year an opinion survey on pensions in Belgium. IPSOS conducted this online survey using a representative sample of 1,065 people of the population aged 25 to 70 years.
In addition to the comparison of the 2014 results, this year’s OGEO FUND-IPSOS survey includes specific questions relating to the Federal Government proposals on pension reform.
Some significant facts:
- While, last year, 44% of the Belgian population were planning to retire at 65, Belgium’s current legal retirement age, only 34% consider to do so now. Moreover, 23% think to make the final leap after 65 (compared to 7% in 2014) and 43% before 65 (compared to 49% in 2014).
- The main factor that could encourage non-retirees to retire later than planned would be, same as in 2014, to cumulate a part-time job and retirement without any tax penalty (59%).
Preparing for retirement
- Only 17% of non-retirees feel being sufficiently informed about their pensions (compared to 22% in 2014). Moreover, only 27% believe that their pension will be enough to maintain a decent standard of living (compared to 32% in 2014).
- Less than half of non-retirees benefit from a supplementary retirement scheme proposed by their employer (45%), compared to 39% in 2014.
Future of retirement
- 8 out of 10 Belgians are of the opinion that the public authorities must prioritise ensuring an adequate pension funding.
- 78% declare to be in favour of a harmonization of public/private/independent pension schemes. This view is more shared by private sector employees (85% compared to 80% in 2014) than by those working in the public sector (55% compared to 58% in 2014).
- Only 39% of non-retirees agree to increase the legal retirement age to 66 (in 2025) en to 67 (in 2030).
- More than 3 out of 4 Belgians (76%) wish drudgery of work to be taken into account in the pension calculation system.
If you wish to be obtain the results of this survey, please click here.